It is a condition that not only has affected the child, but the families, and friends. It has literally ripped families apart. In our kid friendly chiropractic office in San Diego we see several children along the spectrum. It is really important to know that most children with Autism as diagnosed as early as 2 years old. However the median age of first diagnosis along the spectrum is:
- Autistic Disorder: 3 years and 10 months old
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): 4 years and 8 months old
- Asperger Disorder: 5 years and 7 months old
So what is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is defined as a group of complex neurodevelopment disorders characterized by repetitive and characteristic patterns of behavior and difficulties with social communication and interaction. The symptoms are present from early childhood and affect daily functioning. When referring to the "spectrum" it is a range of skills, symptoms, and varied levels of disability of functioning people with ASD.
Common Signs of ASD:
1. overly focused on certain objects
2. rarely make eye contact
3. fail to engage in typical babbling with parents
4. failure to respond to their name
5. lack understanding how to play or engage with other children
6. may speak in a flat tone
7. repetitive movements (rocking side to side, etc)
8. thrive on performing the same routine daily, and many more
How is Autism Treated?
There are various things that can help such as:
1. educational/behavioral interventions
Help children be able to develop both social and language skills.
2. some medications have been reported to help
Medications are known to not to be able to cure ASD, but can help with related symptoms like depression, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
3. chiropractic adjustments.
Chiropractic adjustments affect the parasympathetic nervous system. This system is the "brake pedal" to our bodies. It allows our bodies to relax, which most Autistic children struggle with as they are extremely tight and anxious.
This is a short glimpse of what is about to be coming your way on April 25th at 12:15 PM (PST) as Dr. Zach Beatty, DC, your Gonstead Chiropractor in San Diego dives in deep on this topic for you! You will not want to miss this live webinar event.
Here is the link to sign up for the FREE event - Click Here
Dr. Zach Beatty, DC
Gonstead Family Chiropractic
San Diego Chiropractor